Child Psychiatrist – Part Time (16-20 Hrs. – Contracted)
The Whole Child, the premier mental health agency in the greater Whittier area, has as its mission to give children of all ages the skills, support and security they need to build emotionally healthy lives and become caring, responsible adults. Its commitment to children includes their parents, whom it empowers to create nurturing families.
We currently have a need for a Psychiatrist on a contract basis (about 16 hours).
Doctor of medicine specialized in child & adolescent psychiatry. Receives referrals for evaluation from therapists. Examines, evaluates, diagnoses and treats psychiatric disorders. Provides follow up, psych education and support to clients & families. Reviews case histories and keeps clinical materials in accordance with Department of Mental Health requirements. Is available for periodic consultations with therapists and participates in monthly utilization review meetings. Works closely with case managers, social workers, child advocates, and other staff as needed.
Scope of Responsibility:
Positions allocable to this class are assigned to various services offered by our mental health agency, and work directly under a Program Director. Within agency guidelines and professional standards, incumbents of the position function independently. The Psychiatrist promotes a strengths based approach to treatment that empowers families, supports a community based philosophy of service, and ensures that all clinical services are aligned with the agency’s mission, vision, and core values.
Essential Functions & Qualifications:
- Works closely as part of the treatment team with the therapist and case manager and includes families in the evaluation process.
- Prescribes psychotropic medication as needed & provides follow-up and psych education regarding medication and possible side effects.
- Keeps paperwork in accordance with DMH regulations and procedures.
- Completes and submits clinical documentation in a 24 hour time frame utilizing the agency’s electronic health record system (EXYM).
- Participates in regular utilization reviews of clinical charts and consultation with therapists.
- Prior experience in community mental health preferred.
- Know & comply with Agency policies and procedures, HIPAA, DMH policies and documentation guidelines, and other state & federal regulations relating to quality assurance & improvement.
- Demonstrate medical/clinical leadership skills, a complete working knowledge of psychopharmacology and experience in mental health service delivery to a broad-based individual and multi-cultural patient population.
- Effective verbal & written communication skills
- Experience as a Psychiatrist in an outpatient setting.
- Possess good computer skills & demonstrated ability to utilize electronic progress note system.
- Utilize analysis, experience, and judgment to make decisions.
Possess current MD licensure in the state of California. Residency/Board Certification in Psychiatry. Board Certified in Child Psychiatry. Valid DEA license. Bilingual English/Spanish strongly desired. Maintains own professional liability insurance. Current California driver’s license.
To apply please send your resume to Jessica Dennis at firstname.lastname@example.org.